Tuesday 25 August 2009

Part Two

In the interests of a fair temperature comparison I left Spain and went to Scotland. No chance of sun melted asphalt paths there. No burning feet in Scotland. Damp feet, foot rot and hypothermia possibly but not burning feet.

I bought all my needles with their passports and still no-one checked them. It was gratifying when a novice monk in front of me at airport security was pulled over and asked to explain the 7” Bowie knife in his hand luggage. I suspect someone of any racial origin other than white wouldn’t have been offered the opportunity to explain it but there we go. The monk with the knife claimed a hunting hobby and his knife was duly confiscated and he was allowed on to the plane. Is there a conflict of interest there? Praising God whilst hunting his creations with an effing huge hunting knife...

I was in Edinburgh for the festival where a show I had worked on was playing at the Zoo Southside. At the theatre (converted community centre (itself converted from an old school)) I met the wife of our venue marketing manager who has...MS. Blimey, we got on well. Swapping stories of numbness, pins and needles, drugs, infusions, memory loss and the like. We sat like a couple of gossiping old ladies..did your neuro offer you Copraxone? No, but does your nurse answer her mailbox? Doesn’t it annoy you when you’ve got fatigue and someone says..I’m tired as well Yes and do you ever stop mid sentance and forget what you meant to say next? And thus we went on, like we’d known each other years.


She (the marketing mans wife) is a strong lady who’s up for the fight and that is inspiring. So, in what is a simple post about simple pleasures I would like to state for the record a second positive effect of owning Multiple Sclerosis. Along with asbestos feet in Spanish water parks I will add...meeting nice people that you wouldn’t otherwise have spoken to.

No comments:

Post a Comment